You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - NAMES/ATTRIBUTES of GOD
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information NAMES/ATTRIBUTES of GOD

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » The God, His Messengers & Prohpets  Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Hindi
Pawn
Pawn

Faith: Buddhism
Zodiac: Libra

india.gif

Post subject: NAMES/ATTRIBUTES of GOD - Allah, God, Yahwa Reply with quote  

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Assalam Alaykum to every one.

YHWH/Jehovah

Of all the names of God, the one which occurs most frequently in the Hebrew Bible is the Tetragrammaton, appearing 6,823 times, according to the Jewish Encyclopedia. The Biblia Hebraica and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia texts of the Hebrew Scriptures each contain the Tetragrammaton 6,828 times.

In Judaism, the Tetragrammaton is the ineffable Name of God, and is therefore not to be spoken, except by the High Priest within the Holy of Holies in the Tabernacle and Temple in Jerusalem on Yom Kippur(Day of Atonement). In the reading aloud of the scripture or in prayer, it is replaced with Adonai ("My Lords", commonly rendered as "The LORD" in most modern English translations), though occasionally replaced with "Elohim" (GOD).

The form of J was unknown in any alphabet until the 14th century. Either symbol (J,I) used initially generally had the consonantal sound of Y as in year. Gradually, the two symbols (J,I) were differentiated, the J usually acquiring consonantal force and thus becoming regarded as a consonant, and the I becoming a vowel. It was not until 1630 that the differentiation became general in England.

Although there is scholarly debate on the relevance of "Yehovah", "Y'hovah", "Yehowah", "Yahweh" or similar pronunciations, many modern scholars believe that the English transcription "Jehovah" does not accurately represent God's name in the English language.[1] Nevertheless the transcription "Jehovah" continues to be used by some English-speaking Protestant Christians and by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Some modern scholars believe that the original pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton may have been lost somewhere in the first millennium, when the Jewish people stopped saying the Name, out of fear of violating the commandment "You shall not take the name of YHWH your God in vain" (Exodus 20:7)

Josephus wrote that the sacred name consisted of four vowels. Many sacred name ministries who believe that YHWH consists of four vowels pronounce these four vowels as "ee-ah-oo-eh" and believe that indicates God's name was either "Yahweh" or "Yahuweh". It is claimed that the Greek transcription "ιαουε" would have been pronounced "Yah-oo-eh". (Iota is used as both a vowel and a semi-vowel.) "Clement of Alexandria spelled the Tetragrammaton (Ya-oo-ai),(Ya-oo-eh)and (Ya-oh). In none of these is the central oo or oh vowel omitted", which is 'omitted in the name Yahweh.' However, since there was no letter in the Classical Greek alphabet for a [w] sound, the letter combination ου was sometimes used to transcribe a [w] sound in words borrowed from foreign languages into ancient Greek.

In Biblical Hebrew, most vowels are not written and the rest are written only ambiguously, as the vowel letters double as consonants (similar to the Latin use of V to indicate both U and V). See Matres lectionis for details. For similar reasons, an appearance of the Tetragrammaton in ancient Egyptian records of the 13th century BC sheds no light on the original pronunciation. 2. Therefore it is, in general, difficult to deduce how a word is pronounced from its spelling only, and the Tetragrammaton is a particular example: two of its letters can serve as vowels, and two are vocalic place-holders, which are not pronounced. Not surprisingly then, Josephus in Jewish Wars, chapter V, wrote, "Ã???????Ã??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢Ã??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢?Ã??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¬Ã???????Ã??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¦in which was engraven the sacred name: it consists of four vowels". In Greek, they are Ιαου, which comes out to Yau, since iota is used to represent semi-vocalic 'y' (and omicron+ypsilon="oo").

Further, Josephus's four vowels are confirmed by theophoric stems in personal names, always: Yaho/Yahu/Y:ho/Y:hu. These yield in English Yau and Yao, which are pronounced the same. Once again, the heh is not pronounced here in Hebrew, but is used instead as a place holder. Moreover, Gnostic texts, such as those Marcion wrote, discuss the Judaic god extensively, and spell the Tetragrammaton in Greek, Ιαω, that is "Yao." Lastly, Levantine texts (including those from ancient Ugarit) render the Tetragrammaton Yaw, pronounced "Yau."

In Biblical Archaeology Review, reference is made to the fact that a two-syllable pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton as "Yahweh" would not allow for the o vowel sound to exist as part of God's name. Thus the article stated:

"When the Tetragrammaton was pronounced in one syllable it was �??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�???????Yah�??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¢ or �??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�???????Yo.�??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¢ When it was pronounced in three syllables it would have been �??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�???????Yahowah�??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¢ or �??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�???????Yahoowah.�??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¢ If it was ever abbreviated to two syllables it would have been �??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�???????Yaho.�??????�?????�????�???�??�?�¢�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¬�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¢"

(Extracted & Shortened from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton)

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 2:17 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
iqbalismail
Pawn
Pawn

Faith:

Post subject: Reply with quote  

The wrote:
Quote:
ahmedbahgat wrote:
I was watching an egyptian program yesterday and I was shocked to find out that Al Azhar has removed 21 names of the 99 because they claim there is no support in Quran and Sunnah, on the other hand they replaced the 21 names by other names "mostely from Hadith"

I say this is tital crap,

Their secisoon was based on a research by an Arab Muslim not from Egypt, the researcher claimed that the Saudi didn't oppose him eaither

what do you think man?

# i dont think the attributes/names of god have to be restricted to (those found in) the quran....nor should they be limited to the arabic language!

what do u think? (-:

Assalam alaikum

Do it mean by nor should they be limited to the arabic language! that v can call Allah (S.W.T) with any languege name? Pls give reasan answer Inshalah. Jazakallah.

Tue 19 Jun, 2007 4:51 pm
The
Rook
Rook

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Taurus

blank.gif

Quote:
iqbalismail wrote:
Do it mean by nor should they be limited to the arabic language! that v can call Allah (S.W.T) with any languege name? Pls give reasan answer Inshalah. Jazakallah.

# well...yes..that is almost what i mean!

...but it would depend on what "name" u call upon god with! let's consider "shiva"...now then, some of the meanings of shiva that i have come across are "blessed one," "one who is bliss and gives happiness to all," "kind one," and "auspicious one"...and in that sense god could very well be called shiva (or brahma or vishnu for that matter)! but shiva also specifically denotes a hindu deity, and his attributes and nature runs against that of god...so there could be some misunderstandings!

...myself, well, i use any name/adjective for god as long as i know it doesn't pose a conflict!

## assalam alaikum..take care!
Post Posted:
Fri 29 Jun, 2007 7:28 pm
iqbalismail
Pawn
Pawn

Faith:

The wrote:
Quote:
iqbalismail wrote:

# well...yes..that is almost what i mean!

...but it would depend on what "name" u call upon god with! let's consider "shiva"...now then, some of the meanings of shiva that i have come across are "blessed one," "one who is bliss and gives happiness to all," "kind one," and "auspicious one"...and in that sense god could very well be called shiva (or brahma or vishnu for that matter)! but shiva also specifically denotes a hindu deity, and his attributes and nature runs against that of god...so there could be some misunderstandings!

...myself, well, i use any name/adjective for god as long as i know it doesn't pose a conflict!

## assalam alaikum..take care!

Assalam alaikum

I Not under-stand What U mean. Pls give Clear answer Inshallah. Jazakallah.

Sun 01 Jul, 2007 12:30 am
The
Rook
Rook

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Taurus

blank.gif

Quote:
iqbalismail wrote:
I Not under-stand What U mean. Pls give Clear answer Inshallah.

# i am sowwy that i cannot make myself clear. i ll try:

what i am saying is that i use any name from any language of god, as long as it means somethin nice and doesn't conflict with the nature/essence/attribute of god! like i said, "shiva" means "auspicious one"...so i use it for god in that sense! however, there is a hindu deity called shiva who has a snake around his nake, and i don't use shiva in that sense! (-:

## i wonder if that helps. i am unlikely to be around much longer, bro...nice talkin to u! (-:

### assalam alaikum...sowwy again for the misunderstandin, bud....take care! (-:
Post Posted:
Mon 02 Jul, 2007 1:06 am