You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - Bayn Yadaihi (Between his hands)
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information Bayn Yadaihi (Between his hands)

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Class Discussion   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

Post subject: Bayn Yadaihi (Between his hands) Reply with quote  

Sanitarium wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am most interested in literal translations for: Quran 3:3, 5:46, 10:37, 12:111, 35:31 & 46:30
Thanks in advance :) -Sanitarium

Hello

I will get back to you when I have a bit of time, however let me do one at a time for now and give you 3:3, here is Free-Islam proposed translation:
نَزَّلَ عَلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقاً لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَأَنزَلَ التَّوْرَاةَ وَالإِنجِيلَ (3)
He sent down to you the Book with the truth, verifying that which is before his hands, and He sent down the Taurat and the Injeel -
[Al Quran ; 3:3]

I guess the above may ot sound literal to you, I have a feeling that you are after the words "Bayn Yadaihi", well, I agree with you that it is not easy to understand if you look at it literally, this is because the words Bayn Yadaih literally (between his hands) don't really mean their literal meanning, rather what was in front of you i.e. preceeded you, however if you really insist to take it as literal then there will be no valid understanding but to take (His Hands) as referring to the Hands of Allah, and in this case, the verse means that Allah sent down the Quran which is confirming what is between the Hands of Allah, now this may lead to another question, what is that that is between the hands of Allah?, well it can be a few things but Allah knows best as you know, i can offer you one conjecture to what may be between the hands of Allah, It may be HIS GLOBAL LAWS

I will look at other verses when I have free time, sorry been busy lately

Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:57 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Post subject: Reply with quote  

Sanitarium wrote:
Greetings Ahmed! Thank you for your translation so far. Yes you are right; I am trying to work out what "between his hands" means. I will look forward to your other translations before I submit some questions :) -Sani

Hello Sani,

Today, I will look at 5:46 for you, sorry I will have limited time for about a month and even more, don�?????�????�???�??�?�¢??t know yet, anyway, the translation below is my own translation, I will always call it Free-Islam or FI translation from now on (with you), I have translated the three words (Bayn Yadaihi) literally so you understand that it makes no difference to take it literal or metaphorical, the metaphor meaning is (Before it)

Firstly let me clear an important point, as you have noticed above, I stated that the words (Bayn Yadaihi) are 3 words, they may look 2 words to you, however they are 3 words as follow:

1) بَيْنَ , Bayn, i.e. Between
2) يَدَيْ , Yadai, i.e. Hands
3) هِ , Hi, i.e. His

The second and third words are attached together as follow:

يَدَيْهِ , YadaiHi, i.e. His Hands

They still be treated as two words btw

Now if you put the 3 words together as follow:

بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ , Bayn YadaihiHi

You may end up with two possibilities to understand what the words mean:

1) If the words above appear on their own and not in any context, then they must be understood literally, i.e.

Between his Hands

2) If the words above appear in a context with other words, then you may take the meaning as metaphorical, i.e.

Before him

In many such metaphors, you may notice that it will make no difference to take it whichever way you want, i.e. literal or metaphorical, the words (Bayn Yadihi) is a perfect example of such metaphors where you can still take it literal and the context will stay the same of the whole related senesces (most likely the sentences adjacent to these words)

In 5:46 I kept the words literal for you, so let me walk you through the message (the context):

And We caused Isa son of Marium to follow in their footsteps, verifying what was BETWEEN HIS HANDS of the Taurat and We gave him the Injeel in which was guidance and light, and verifying what was BETWEEN HIS HANDS of the Taurat and a guidance and an admonition for those who guard (against evil).

[The Quran ; 5:46]

وَقَفَّيْنَا عَلَى آثَارِهِم بِعَيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَآتَيْنَاهُ الإِنجِيلَ فِيهِ هُدًى وَنُورٌ وَمُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَهُدًى وَمَوْعِظَةً لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ (46)

-> Many translators and even native Arabs understand the verb Qaffa wrong, they think it means To follow, however it actually means To cause to follow, if you want to put such verb in a simple context, it should go like this A Qaffa B with C, i.e. A caused B to follow C, and that is how 5:46 message started: وَقَفَّيْنَا عَلَى آثَارِهِم بِعَيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ , Wa Qaffayna Ala Atharihim Bi Isa Ibn Marium, i.e. And We caused Isa son of Marium to follow in their footsteps, this fact that Isa was caused to follow what was already sent to them was prophesized in the Taurat: مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ , Musaddaqqan Lima Bayn Yadaihi Min Al Taurat, i.e. verifying what was BETWEEN HIS HANDS of the Taurat, this means that Isa appearance was a confirmation to what was already in the Taurat, i.e what was already BETWEEN HIS HANDS, in here the words his hands means IsaÃ??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢??s hands, I.e. the Taurat that was in IsaÃ??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢??s hand, that is if you want to take it literal, however if you want to take it metaphorical then it should mean as follow: the Taurat that was BEFORE Isa

-> The second time the words Bayn Yadaihi appears in the verse should be treated the exact same as above

I will try to reply to the rest of the verses you mentioned later on inshaallah based on my free time

Salam

Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:59 pm
BMZ

Zodiac: Libra

singapore.gif

Post subject: "Baina Yadaihay" Series. LOL Reply with quote  

A query came to me on this very nice Jewish site, where I write:

http://jhronline.informe.com/bmz-can-you-do-this-dt242.html

And I gave the following reply:

Quote:
XYZ, since Sani has specifically asked for a Literal English translation, I take it to mean either word for word or to the point made by the Scripture. If that is the case, I will do one by doing a transliteration followed by literal translation. Will try to put in same colours for easy matching:

Naz-zala alaikal kitaaba bil-haqqay, musad-day-qal layma baina yadaihay wa anzalat-taurata wal injeel

Sent upon you the book truly, verifying what happened before and sent Taurah and Injeel.

Is this what Sani wanted? Please check and advice. Will do more tomorrow.

I have not done a flowing translation since you wanted the above. There is an important point which I can only explain, if I do a flowing translation.

Good Night. It is too late now.

And then I wrote another post:

Quote:
I believe the explanation, I gave earlier for your friend Sani, should suffice.
Please tell Sani to read V254-256 of Surah 2 Al-Baqarah and find "Baina aideehim".

Do you know what is Sani after?

BMZ

These folks have not read "Ya'alamo maa baina aideehim wa maa khalfahum". Very Happy

Salaams
BMZ
Post Posted:
Tue 11 Dec, 2007 11:51 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Post subject: Re: "Baina Yadaihay" Series. LOL Reply with quote  

BMZ wrote:
These folks have not read "Ya'alamo maa baina aideehim wa maa khalfahum". Very Happy

Salaams
BMZ

That is a cool catch bro, thanks a lot for making me aware of it

Cheers

Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:12 am
BMZ

Zodiac: Libra

singapore.gif

Post subject: Re: "Baina Yadaihay" Series. LOL Reply with quote  

AhmedBahgat wrote:
BMZ wrote:

Salaams
BMZ

That is a cool catch bro, thanks a lot for making me aware of it

Cheers

You are welcome.

Now let me quote part of Verse 17 Surah 7 Al-A'araaf, where Satan replies by saying the following and you can pass it on to the folks who truly do not understand Qur'aan's Arabic and talk nonsense:

"Summa la-aa-ti-yan-nahum mim bainay aideehim wa min khalfayhim wa un aymaanayhim wa un shamaa-ilayhim"

Thus we see "baina aideehim" means "from the front", "wa min khalfayhim", means "from behind", wa un aymaanihim" means "from the right" and "wa un shamaailayhim" means "from the left".

In other words, Satan will attack from all sides, which means he will attack with full force.

"wa layn-yajalallaho lilkaafirina alal momineena sabeela" and that is why they are all stuck up with us and cannot finish us or Islam. LOL! Laughing

"Wa ma taufeeqi illah billah."

Salaams
BMZ
Post Posted:
Wed 12 Dec, 2007 2:54 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message