You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - Are the inheritance laws in the Quran fair?
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information Are the inheritance laws in the Quran fair?

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Class Discussion  Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

Post subject: Reply with quote  

JulianCharteris wrote:
So if there is no son or the son dies, the daughters' share drops from $1000 to $400 each?

Exactly

Now you got it

And if there was one daughter, she gets $6000 and assume there is no parents or a wife, then there will be $6000 to go to the relatives, the needy and poor (if they ask) and if they don't then she can take the other $6000 to her too

Tue 04 Dec, 2007 3:11 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
ronny

Faith:

AhmedBahgat wrote:
Singular words with an added Alif in the end due to the Irab are very common in the Arabic language, here is 3 examples from many in the Quran, in each example I will show you the singular word without an Alif then the same word but with an Alif, and in both cases the word stayed SINGULAR

Let me start with the word Quran, here it is without an Alif at the end:

Alif Lam Ra. These are the signs of the Book and an obvious Quran.

[The Quran ; 15:1]

الَرَ تِلْكَ آيَاتُ الْكِتَابِ وَقُرْآنٍ مُّبِينٍ (1)

-> See قُرْآنٍ , Quran, i.e. Quran

Here it is with an Alif at the end:

A Book of which the verses are explained, an Arabic Quran for a people who know:

[The Quran ; 41:3]

كِتَابٌ فُصِّلَتْ آيَاتُهُ قُرْآنًا عَرَبِيًّا لِّقَوْمٍ يَعْلَمُونَ (3)

-> See قُرْآنًا , Qurana, i.e. Quran

In both cases the word Quran or Qurana stayed SINGULAR

Another example is the word Sullum, Ladder, here it is without an Alif at the end:

Or have they a ladder by which they listen? Then let their listener bring a clear authority.

[The Quran ; 52:38]

أَمْ لَهُمْ سُلَّمٌ يَسْتَمِعُونَ فِيهِ فَلْيَأْتِ مُسْتَمِعُهُم بِسُلْطَانٍ مُّبِينٍ (3Cool

-> See سُلَّمٌ , Sullum, i.e. Ladder

And if their turning away is hard on you, then if you can seek a tunnel into the earth or a ladder in the heaven so that you should bring them a sign and if Allah had pleased He would certainly have gathered them all on guidance, therefore be not of the ignorant.

[The Quran ; 6:35]

وَإِن كَانَ كَبُرَ عَلَيْكَ إِعْرَاضُهُمْ فَإِنِ اسْتَطَعْتَ أَن تَبْتَغِيَ نَفَقًا فِي الأَرْضِ أَوْ سُلَّمًا فِي السَّمَاء فَتَأْتِيَهُم بِآيَةٍ وَلَوْ شَاء اللّهُ لَجَمَعَهُمْ عَلَى الْهُدَى فَلاَ تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْجَاهِلِينَ (35)

-> See سُلَّمًا , Sulluma, i.e. Ladder

In both cases the word Sullum or Sulluma stayed SINGULAR

And finally, the word Maqam Place, here it is without an Alif at the end:

Surely the pious are in a secure place

[The Quran ; 44:51]

إِنَّ الْمُتَّقِينَ فِي مَقَامٍ أَمِينٍ (51)

See مَقَامٍ , Maqam, i.e. Place

And here it is with an Alif at the end:

And during a part of the night, pray continuously beyond what is incumbent on you; maybe your Lord will raise you to a place of great glory.

[The Quran ; 17:79]

وَمِنَ اللَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهِ نَافِلَةً لَّكَ عَسَى أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَامًا مَّحْمُودًا (79)

See مَقَامًا , Maqama, i.e. Place

In both cases the word Maqam or Maqama stayed SINGULAR

hello AhmedBahgat,

this was a nice explanation, understandable even for a novice in arabic like me.

i do have 2 questions.
how come ثُلُثَا in 4:11 doesnt end with the double fatha as in the examples above where each word ends with the double fatha.
are there exemples in the quran where a word ends with alif without the double fatha as in 4:11.

thank you
Post Posted:
Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:10 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

AhmedBahgat wrote:
Singular words with an added Alif in the end due to the Irab are very common in the Arabic language, here is 3 examples from many in the Quran, in each example I will show you the singular word without an Alif then the same word but with an Alif, and in both cases the word stayed SINGULAR

Let me start with the word Quran, here it is without an Alif at the end:

Alif Lam Ra. These are the signs of the Book and an obvious Quran.

[The Quran ; 15:1]

الَرَ تِلْكَ آيَاتُ الْكِتَابِ وَقُرْآنٍ مُّبِينٍ (1)

-> See قُرْآنٍ , Quran, i.e. Quran

A Book of which the verses are explained, an Arabic Quran for a people who know:

[The Quran ; 41:3]

كِتَابٌ فُصِّلَتْ آيَاتُهُ قُرْآنًا عَرَبِيًّا لِّقَوْمٍ يَعْلَمُونَ (3)

-> See قُرْآنًا , Qurana, i.e. Quran

In both cases the word Quran or Qurana stayed SINGULAR

Another example is the word Sullum, Ladder, here it is without an Alif at the end:

Or have they a ladder by which they listen? Then let their listener bring a clear authority.

[The Quran ; 52:38]

أَمْ لَهُمْ سُلَّمٌ يَسْتَمِعُونَ فِيهِ فَلْيَأْتِ مُسْتَمِعُهُم بِسُلْطَانٍ مُّبِينٍ (3Cool

-> See سُلَّمٌ , Sullum, i.e. Ladder

And if their turning away is hard on you, then if you can seek a tunnel into the earth or a ladder in the heaven so that you should bring them a sign and if Allah had pleased He would certainly have gathered them all on guidance, therefore be not of the ignorant.

[The Quran ; 6:35]

وَإِن كَانَ كَبُرَ عَلَيْكَ إِعْرَاضُهُمْ فَإِنِ اسْتَطَعْتَ أَن تَبْتَغِيَ نَفَقًا فِي الأَرْضِ أَوْ سُلَّمًا فِي السَّمَاء فَتَأْتِيَهُم بِآيَةٍ وَلَوْ شَاء اللّهُ لَجَمَعَهُمْ عَلَى الْهُدَى فَلاَ تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْجَاهِلِينَ (35)

-> See سُلَّمًا , Sulluma, i.e. Ladder

In both cases the word Sullum or Sulluma stayed SINGULAR

And finally, the word Maqam Place, here it is without an Alif at the end:

Surely the pious are in a secure place

[The Quran ; 44:51]

إِنَّ الْمُتَّقِينَ فِي مَقَامٍ أَمِينٍ (51)

See مَقَامٍ , Maqam, i.e. Place

And here it is with an Alif at the end:

And during a part of the night, pray continuously beyond what is incumbent on you; maybe your Lord will raise you to a place of great glory.

[The Quran ; 17:79]

وَمِنَ اللَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهِ نَافِلَةً لَّكَ عَسَى أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَامًا مَّحْمُودًا (79)

See مَقَامًا , Maqama, i.e. Place

In both cases the word Maqam or Maqama stayed SINGULAR

ronny wrote:
hello AhmedBahgat,

this was a nice explanation, understandable even for a novice in arabic like me.

i do have 2 questions.
how come ثُلُثَا in 4:11 doesnt end with the double fatha as in the examples above where each word ends with the double fatha.
are there exemples in the quran where a word ends with alif without the double fatha as in 4:11.

thank you

Salam Ronny

Welcome to FI

Just be aware that no one is immune from mistakes, my understanding above needs further work from me to make sure I got it right, so keep an eye on this thread

In regard to your question of an example of a verse where a noun is ending with an extra Alif while not having the double Fatiha, I believe there are many but can I confirm first, are you after a noun with an ending (extra) alif, or are you after a noun that is DUAL with an ending Alif?

Take care

Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:50 am
ronny

Faith:

AhmedBahgat wrote:
my understanding above needs further work from me to make sure I got it right, so keep an eye on this thread

ok i hope you keep this thread updated when you can, its an extremely important topic that could clear many misconceptions in the muslim world.
also i noticed this thread is part of a debate you had with people who couldnt refute the grammatical analysis so they presented the objection that how come 2 daughters get 1/3 while 1 daughter gets 1/2.
i would reply that the remaining share of the inheritance can be distributed as the deceased wishes it in his testament (he doesnt have to give all the remained to the orphans or needy), he may give most of it to the daughters to compensate and the rest to the orphans and needy per 4:8.

AhmedBahgat wrote:
In regard to your question of an example of a verse where a noun is ending with an extra Alif while not having the double Fatiha, I believe there are many but can I confirm first, are you after a noun with an ending (extra) alif, or are you after a noun that is DUAL with an ending Alif?

im looking for a word of the same nature as thulthaa in 4:11, NOT dual with an alif at the end and without the double fatha.

also please could you explain why does thulthaa not have a double fatha, as opposed to the examples you gave of singular words ending with alif and double fatha.

and finally is there a case where a dual noun ends only with an alif (that is without alif + noon or ya + noon)? i dont think it can be possible, but im asking to make sure.

thank you
Post Posted:
Tue 30 Jun, 2009 7:15 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

AhmedBahgat wrote:
my understanding above needs further work from me to make sure I got it right, so keep an eye on this thread

ronny wrote:
ok i hope you keep this thread updated when you can, its an extremely important topic that could clear many misconceptions in the muslim world.

Sure, I am glad you opened the subject again, as I still need more work to do. I also agree with you that the subject is very important, HOWVEER, and this is a huge however, even if you get the division wrong, there is another option that should overwrite any division, which is simply, accoridng to a WILL, i.e. if a deceased left a will then the divsion accoridng to these shares mentioned in the verses may not happen at all

Imagine I had 100,000 bucks when I died, now, if I leave a will to give all that money to a specifuc person then nothing will be left to divide, therefore the divsion mentioned in the verses may not apply if a will was left.

ronny wrote:

also i noticed this thread is part of a debate you had with people who couldnt refute the grammatical analysis so they presented the objection that how come 2 daughters get 1/3 while 1 daughter gets 1/2.

yeh mate, it was a long debate that spanned over 3 sites, however that guy whom was debating is only a jerk robbing off my time so i dismissed him, you should see his name in the FFI life dismissal list (bin lyin)

ronny wrote:
i would reply that the remaining share of the inheritance can be distributed as the deceased wishes it in his testament (he doesnt have to give all the remained to the orphans or needy), he may give most of it to the daughters to compensate and the rest to the orphans and needy per 4:8.

Sure, however I say that the wish of the deceased will take priority over the shares mentioned in the Quran, also any debits by the deceased with even take the highest priority, let me put it simply:

Debits -> Will -> Shares

I.e. the debits should take precedence over the Will and the Shares, while the Will should take precedence over the Shares.

AhmedBahgat wrote:

ronny wrote:

im looking for a word of the same nature as thulthaa in 4:11, NOT dual with an alif at the end and without the double fatha.

Ok, now I got what you mean, it is hard to find one actually, not that I think there is none in addition to the word Thultha, I just need more time to search as the only way to search is to physically read the Quran sura after sura, I cannot use my software to initiat such search as I have very little to enter as a criteria, normally I search the Quran based on a word that I am aware of, now because there is no word before hand, I have to actually read and find it myself, so be patient with me please

ronny wrote:

also please could you explain why does thulthaa not have a double fatha, as opposed to the examples you gave of singular words ending with alif and double fatha.

I believe the reason is simply, because the word grmatical position is a delayed Mubtadaa, i.e. it should come first like this

Thultha Ma Tarak Luhunna

i.e. it should have a diacritical mark of Dummah, so the alif is used instead, on the other hand you should be aware that I am still working out of Thultha is singular or Dual, I actually lean to believe now that it is dual more than singular, I already expressed that to the guy I was debating on another web site, here is the link:

http://freefaith.myfreeforum.org/about76.html

ronny wrote:
and finally is there a case where a dual noun ends only with an alif (that is without alif + noon or ya + noon)? i dont think it can be possible, but im asking to make sure.

Actually a dual noun can end with an alif, or even a ya, for example, the word in hand "thultha" can be expressed as dual as folloing:

Thultha

Thulthan

Thulthay

However what makes me lean to chnage my understanding (again) that the word as mentioned in the verse is actually dual, is simply, a dual word cannot have Tanween, i.e. it cannot have the double fatiha or the double kasirah at the end

the bottom line is as I stated earlier, if I found the shares hard to understand then I will use my will to overwrite such shares by simply specifying where every buck of my estate should go too

I believe the verses of inheritcance are only there just in case there is no will.

Allah knows best

Note: I will go out for about 2 hours then when I come back I will spend about 2 hours reading the Quran to try and find the word you are after

I also retreat my statement in my first comment to you, when I said that I believe that there are many, in fact after reading a few suras, I actually believe now that it is hard to find, but I will keep trying inshaallah and let you know

cheers

Tue 30 Jun, 2009 8:22 pm
ronny

Faith:

hello ahmed and thanks for your time again.

the best argument that could be presented in favor of thulthaa in 4:11 being DUAL is that it does not have tanween.

but i tend to believe it is in the singular because of 4:176 where thulth is clearly in the dual form with alif + noon at the end, and i see no reason why the noon should be absent from thultha in 4:11 if the verse meant it in the dual form. is there any grammatical reason for such omission of the noon?

also if we could find other instances where a word(s) ends with alif and without tanween as in 4:11 while remaining SINGULAR then it would further strengthen the argument that thulth in 4:11 must be in the singular.
Post Posted:
Tue 30 Jun, 2009 8:52 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

ronny wrote:
hello ahmed and thanks for your time again.

Salam mate

No worries, anything that relates to the Quran bears no limit to the amount of time I may spend on it.

ronny wrote:

the best argument that could be presented in favor of thulthaa in 4:11 being DUAL is that it does not have tanween.

And that is the only thing that made me torn and re-think my understanding, however and again this is a big however, not having the Tanween does not conclusively imply that it is dual, because the singular may also have no Tanween

ronny wrote:

but i tend to believe it is in the singular because of 4:176 where thulth is clearly in the dual form with alif + noon at the end,

I tend to agree with you, however there is a gramatical rule that I am trying to find for sometime now where the last NOON in a dual word may be omitted, and in this case the Noon may be there but was omitted due to a complex grammar rule, I sort of remember it slightly but cannot pin point it yet

ronny wrote:

and i see no reason why the noon should be absent from thultha in 4:11 if the verse meant it in the dual form. is there any grammatical reason for such omission of the noon?

I think that there is a complex grammar rule where the last Noon in dual words, or the last Ya in attached words, like Ibady, i.e. (My slaves), may be omitted

ronny wrote:
also if we could find other instances where a word(s) ends with alif and without tanween as in 4:11 while remaining SINGULAR then it would further strengthen the argument that thulth in 4:11 must be in the singular.

I actually had a drive and listened to suras 50 to 60 while driving, in a verse in sura 56 he pronounced two nouns that both ends with and additional Alif, i.e. the two nouns can also be stated without the Alif, and the reader did not pronounce the Tanween, but before I tell you the verse let me first explain something very important:

The Tanween is optional, in fact I read the Quran without it, the main purpose of Tanween is to make it easy to read some words after each other

The Tanween is also not explicit with a double Fatiha and an Alif at the end, in fact the Quran is full of Tanween throughs words that don't even have an Alif at the end, I can show you many examples of that as I listened to it while I am driving. You can also have Tanween with a double Dummah or a double Kasirah at the end, so the existence of Alif at the end does not really mean that there is Tanween,

Now before I tell you the verse, bear in mind that if you look at it WRITTEN, then you may see the double Fatiha at the letter before the last Alif, however when read (as you should hear it in a moment), the Tanween was never pronounced

The verses are 56:25-26

here are the verses as written wiith the diacritical marks:

56:25 لَا يَسْمَعُونَ فِيهَا لَغْوًا وَلَا تَأْثِيمًا
56:26 إِلَّا قِيلًا سَلَامًا سَلَامًا

Translated by myself as:

56:25 They do not hear therein vain talk or sin
25:26 Except it will be said: Peace, peace.

I highlighted 5 words in the above verse, each is ending with an Alif, here are the words in order:

1- 56:25 لَغْوًا
2- 56:25 تَأْثِيمًا
3- 56:26 قِيلًا
4- 56:26 سَلَامًا
5- 56:26 سَلَامًا

Now, all these words can be written without the last Alif, i.e.:

1- 56:25 لَغْوً
2- 56:25 تَأْثِيمً
3- 56:26 قِيل
4- 56:26 سَلَامً
5- 56:26 سَلَامً

Now, if you hear those 2 verses as read by a professional reader (can be heard on Free Islam MP3 Player), you will notice the following:

1- 56:25 لَغْوًا , was read with Tanween, Laghwan
2- 56:25 تَأْثِيمًا, was read without Tanween, Ta'athima
3- 56:26 قِيلًا , was read with Tanween, Qilan
4- 56:26 سَلَامًا, was read with Tanween, Salaman
5- 56:26 سَلَامًا, was read without Tanween, Salama

You should notice that the last two words in verse 56:26 ARE IDENTICIAL IN ALL ASPECTS:

1) all letters are the same
2) all diacritical marks on all letters are the same

However, one was read with Tanween, and the other was read without Tanween, which should prove to you what I said earlier that the Tanween is OPTIONAL to make the reading easier, and most likely to connect to a word after it (IN PRONOUNCIATION only)

Therefore, all Quran students should really ignore the Tanween if it will cause any confusion to the meaning, and as you may have noticed that this is what the Kafirs picked on in my debate, i.e. picked on Tanween and to be honest they were stunned by my reply that Thultha may mean (1/3) i.e. singular, so they confused the subject with the optional Tanween issue trying hard the tactics of, if you can beat your enemy, confuse them with any crap.

Let me now do some surgery and try to cut those two verses from the MP3 file that I have for sura 56 and listen for yourself:

Salam

Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:52 pm
ronny

Faith:

salaam

it would be interesting to find this grammar rule permitting the omission of the noon at the end of a dual word, and see if it applies to 4:11. unfortunately this is beyond my arabic knowledge.

i was aware that Quran reciters often -if not always- omit the tanween in their recitation when the word is at the end of an ayah, however this is not a conclusive example of a singular noun ending with alif but without tanween as we are contending for 4:11. i am currently searching for such word.
Post Posted:
Wed 01 Jul, 2009 12:15 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

ronny wrote:
salaam

it would be interesting to find this grammar rule permitting the omission of the noon at the end of a dual word, and see if it applies to 4:11. unfortunately this is beyond my arabic knowledge.

i was aware that Quran reciters often -if not always- omit the tanween in their recitation when the word is at the end of an ayah, however this is not a conclusive example of a singular noun ending with alif but without tanween as we are contending for 4:11. i am currently searching for such word.

Salam mate

I have two grammar books but are huge, one of them not organised well which is the one that is more comprhensive, I am still looking

For the mean time can you listen to verse 58:2 and hear the word 'Zoora'

Salam

Wed 01 Jul, 2009 12:39 am