You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - The Quran is a Christian composition
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information The Quran is a Christian composition

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Bring it on  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
The
Rook
Rook

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Taurus

blank.gif

Post subject: Re: The Quran is a Christian composition Reply with quote  

According to some Christians (including "Luxenberg"), the Arabic word "quran" is better understood as the Syriac word "qeryana". What follows is that "quran" should be translated as "reading" and not "recitation". "Fine," a Muslim would say, "it's only nit-picking and nothing significant."

But there is a theological context to the Christian rendering here. In the Syriac culture, "reading" refers to the reading of the Christian scriptures, and when the Christian renders quran as "reading", he is giving it a Christian history. Here is an excerpt from "The Rise of Western Christendom: Triumph and Diversity, AD 200-1000":

In the culture of the Syriac-speaking world, holy books were supposed to saturate the heart. They did so by being translated into melodious sound, carried by the magical sweetness of the human voice. Unlike the Vivarium of Cassiodorus, this was no hushed world, in which the written text alone spoke to the reader, as a solitary, silent instructor. By contrast, the Syriac world, in east and west alike, was filled with sound. Hence the importance of the qeryana, the “reading aloud” of the Scriptures. Through the qeryana, the Syriac language was raised to a new pitch. It became a tongue rendered sacred through the repeated, exquisite recitation of the Word of God. Exegesis itself was not a purely intellectual probing of the text of the Scriptures. It was a reliving of the Scriptures through recitation combined with a reverential “robing” of the Word of God, in the form of explanations and amplifications of the Biblical text, in a manner which closely resembled the Midrashic techniques of the rabbis. In a Syrian church, the “reading” held the center of attention

Thus, under the Syro-Christian influence, "Quran" is understood as "reading" of the Christian scriptures, which is not a reasonable understanding.

Could you provide an example of "Syrian-Aramaic-Christian" influence on the Quran?
Post Posted:
Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:18 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

The wrote:
Quite a few non-Muslims refer me to free-minds.org website, so I decided to help them out by starting a thread there. The text in green is my invitation to her to join me out here or over there.

Quite frankly I refer many people to them too, but to only witness their non sense by their own eyes, that is if they possess minds

Free minds only attracts young people due to their charming attitude, which is the common attitude for any new sect trying hard to attract followers

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:20 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

Of course, the assumption that the Arabic "quran" should be understood as the Syriac "qeryana" would require some sort of justification; even the propagandists know that. And this "justification" comes in form of more assumptions: discontinuity and conspiracy, among others.

Johannes Jansen of Leiden University makes the following assertion about "Luxenberg":
Luxenberg is not a professor at a German university, he is a Lebanese Christian. This would explain Luxenberg's 'Christian agenda': Christians from the Middle East have been involved in harsh religious debates with Muslims for centuries.

While the Middle Eastern Christian sees the Quran as a "reading" of the Christian Scriptures, the Jew has his own interests to look after.

And before anybody harbors a misconception about Jansen, know that he has devoted much of his life seeking an alternate account of Muhammad, and his understanding of the Quranic characterization of non-Muslims led him to a rather creative title for a book of his: "Islam for Pigs, Apes, Donkeys and Other Animals".
Post Posted:
Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:20 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

member3:

Quote:
I'm absolutely baffled as to what you're unhappy with. Recitation and reading aloud mean exactly the same thing, so I don't see any difference between Arabic and Syrian-Aramaic in regards to the question of the meaning of Quran or "qeryana".

Is the Quran a reading, or interpretation, of the bible? Well, some of the stories are the same, some of them are different or unique. To me it seems perfectly reasonable to view the recitation of the Quran as in the same cultural tradition as Jewish and Christian devotional reading/singing.

Last edited by The on Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Posted:
Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:22 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

You don't see a difference between "recitation" and "reading (of Christian Scriptures)"?

The difference between "recitation" and "reading" is pedantic (as I already mentioned in a previous post), but the context given to "reading" by the Christians is that of Christian theology. And to the Christians this seems perfectly reasonable.
Post Posted:
Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:22 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Post subject: Reply with quote  

Are you asking me a question mate or it was part of your discussion with the others?

Cheers

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:27 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

Oh, it is a part of my ongoing dialogue at free-minds.org. It's the usual non-Muslim stuff that one comes across. Whatever is in quotes is what has been said by some member over there.
Post Posted:
Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:30 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

@ahmedbahgat: Free minds only attracts young people due to their charming attitude, which is the common attitude for any new sect trying hard to attract followers

I don't know about young people, but the number of Jews, Christians, Hindus and other non-Muslims that have been seeking support from that site and "Safar"'s website has significantly increased over the last two years. The only reason I am there is because of the heavy demand they are in with non-Muslims.
Post Posted:
Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:37 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
@ahmedbahgat: Free minds only attracts young people due to their charming attitude, which is the common attitude for any new sect trying hard to attract followers

I don't know about young people, but the number of Jews, Christians, Hindus and other non-Muslims that have been seeking support from that site and "Safar"'s website has significantly increased over the last two years. The only reason I am there is because of the heavy demand they are in with non-Muslims.

Same here, I am also on www.faithfreedom.org to get my messages exposed to as many

The problem I see that on faithfreedom, the moderators are fair and professional, despite that it is an anti islam web site, while on the freaks web site, they run it like kindergarten with an attitude that simulated Arabic tyrancy

You have to know mate that most people on earth follow or are attracted to what is not right, this is a fact of life mate which for me confirms Iblis existance

Cheers

Fri 25 Dec, 2009 5:57 am
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

That is true. Many non-Muslims feel uncomfortable quoting from a website like faithfreedom.org (because of its renown as an anti-Islamic website), but the other two sites I mentioned have become a sort of haven for them.
Post Posted:
Fri 25 Dec, 2009 4:06 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

This follows my quoting the Christian girl.

member3:

Quote:
You don't have to worry about trolls, they can enjoy themselves without our help. But yes - I don't see why it matters whether or not "reading" and "recitation" comes from a cultural context where the same term was used about the bible as the quran.

The early Christians used to have a lot in common with Muslims. Not only did they sing the scriptures in the same way as Muslims, they also used to pray in the same way, with systematic bowing, kneeling and putting their forehead on the floor.

But when Christianity became dominated by Greeks and Romans they gave that up and just sat on their Church pews listening to their priest and drinking their wine. We muslims have far more in common with the early Semitic/Aramaic Christians.
Post Posted:
Fri 25 Dec, 2009 4:09 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

For me "Luxenberg" is no less a troll than our agitated friend out there, or any other Christian who assumes under assumptions.

The sixth-seventh century Christians are not early Christians. I hope you will point out the similarity between the Quran and the "Scriptures" they read from.

Again, could you elaborate this "singing" of the Quran? Also, the assumption the Christians labor under is that the word "qeryana" has been manipulated to be read as "quran"; if you subscribe to it then provide some evidence thereof.
Post Posted:
Fri 25 Dec, 2009 4:10 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

member3:

Quote:
The book of the bible which I find is most similar to the Quran is the book of Isaiah, the writing is not poetic like the Quran, but the symbolism in it, for example making frequent reference to the destruction of Sodom as the Quran does, makes me see it as being in a similar tradition.

6-7th Century Christians in Rome or Byzantium would not be early Christians, as they were deep enough in the Empire to be totally under the sway of the Niecean creed. But in Syria they would be out of reach of Imperial religious power and were thus much less influenced by catholic-orthodox dogma, so were more like early Christians.

When I hear the Quran recited in a singing voice with tune and melody, as it traditionally is, I call that singing. I know Sunni muslims take offence to this and say it is not singing, and some even say singing is haram, but they're just silly.

Is the only thing you have against Luxenberg that he is quoted at you by evangelical christians online?
Post Posted:
Fri 25 Dec, 2009 4:11 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

The book of Isaiah is not the only book that "qeryana" consists of; apart from that, singing about Sodom does not make a case for Quran being the Christian "qeryana".

Could you provide a glimpse into the literature of the sixth-seventh century Syrian Christians? The girl I quoted seems to know that "qeryana" consisted of reading from the "Church Fathers" too.

The Quran recited as a melody or in a singing tone is not the same as "Quran" itself being "singing".

"Luxenberg" fits pretty well under the label "Evangelist" himself. Also, "Quran is qeryana" is not his brainchild.

I clarified it a while back that there is no intention to isolate "Luxenberg," rather to highlight the circular reasoning his likes use. If he or anybody else could offer something more tangible than assumptions then it might be worth a dekko, but assuming under assumptions does not make a case.
Post Posted:
Fri 25 Dec, 2009 4:12 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

Another example of circular reasoning (abetted by conjecture):

Bedouins of the Hijaz on their caravan journeys to Syria and other Christian centers undoubtedly carried back with them a superficial knowledge of Christian beliefs and customs. Dissident Christian sects, mostly of the Monophysite confession, and numerous monks turned ascetics had their retreats in the steppes of north Arabia along caravan routes. As a caravan leader, Muhammad is supposed to have befriended a Christian monk, Babira; it is said that he even wore tunics which were the gifts of other Christian monks. Two Christianized Arab tribes, Judham and `Udhra, roamed the Hijaz. According to local tradition, there were even Christian religious artifacts in the Ka`bah at Mecca.

It is not unlikely that Muhammad may have exchanged religious views with monks, even with Christians who possessed some formal knowledge of Christian theology. Jacobites and Nestorians. are known to have conducted active missionary activities among the pagan tribes of Arabia; indeed, priests and deacons were assigned to each tribe, and in Najran the Monophysites had established churches which, when persecuted by dhu-Nuwas, invited Abyssinian intervention. Monasteries astride caravan routes were open day and night to traveling caravans and roaming Bedouins. Here, besides receiving food and shelter, they undoubtedly had occasion to 'observe such practices as praying, fasting, and alms giving three of the five basic injunctions of Islam. The Nestorians had established schools and some churches in many of the towns frequented by Arab tribesmen of the Hijaz.

Given how popular the view is, that must be pretty conclusive to many Christians (and possibly other non-Muslims).
Post Posted:
Fri 25 Dec, 2009 4:14 pm