You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - Allah/AlIlah: Does 'Allah' have a meaning?
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information Allah/AlIlah: Does 'Allah' have a meaning?

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Bring it on  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

Post subject: Reply with quote  

See this verse brother The:

25:60 واذا قيل لهم اسجدوا للرحمن قالوا وما الرحمن انسجد لما تامرنا وزادهم نفو
را

In which we read the unique name of Allah, Alrahman preceded by Li, and again only the alif is dropped, while in the case of Allah, both Alif and Lam are dropped

This implies to me that while the name Alrahamn is still unique to Allah, the name Allah stands on its own as the most unqiue name of Allah

Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:38 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
The
Rook
Rook

Zodiac: Taurus

blank.gif

I too hold that 'Allah' was used in Arabic before the revelation of the Quran.

I am not so much insisting that Allah has to be Al + Ilah; but I do believe that Allah should mean something (especially in light of 6:3 and 43:84). Like in the case of of AlRahman, which I believe you understand as "The Compassionate".

The other thing was about alif being dropped in other usages, too; as in "bism" Allah. So I feel that it is neither impossible nor certain.
Post Posted:
Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:39 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
I too hold that 'Allah' was used in Arabic before the revelation of the Quran.

I am not so much insisting that Allah has to be Al + Ilah; but I do believe that Allah should mean something (especially in light of 6:3 and 43:84). Like in the case of of AlRahman, which I believe you understand as "The Compassionate".

The other thing was about alif being dropped in other usages, too; as in "bism" Allah. So I feel that it is neither impossible nor certain.

To be honest, i am not fuss about it too unless the kafirs will use it to prove one of their Tom and Jerry allegations

On the other hand, yes Bism, which is Bi + Ism we have the alif omitted in Ism, amazingly if we use the Bi before Allah, nothing is omitted i.e. بالله

Note: Got to go to bed, good night pal, will continue tomorrow inshaallah if I have anything else to say or discover

Salam

Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:48 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

Cool, buddy. Sleep well. Take care.
Post Posted:
Sun 21 Feb, 2010 10:00 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

That's right, brother. When 'bi' precedes Allah or Alghayb then the alif is not dropped, but it is curiously dropped in 'bism'. I think this is the only instance of 'ism' in Quran where the alif is dropped.
Post Posted:
Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:19 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
That's right, brother. When 'bi' precedes Allah or Alghayb then the alif is not dropped, but it is curiously dropped in 'bism'. I think this is the only instance of 'ism' in Quran where the alif is dropped.

Good morning bro

I believe Bism بسم can also be written Bi Ism بإسم

Like Ya Allah ياالله which can be written Yallah يالله

Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:30 am
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

That is the curious part, only in the instance of "bism' Allah is the alif dropped. There are other instances where the alif is retained.
Post Posted:
Mon 22 Feb, 2010 1:03 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

There are curious cases of alif being dropped, so I do not rule out 'Allah' as 'Al' + ''Ilah', neither do I insist that such is the case.

On the other hand, Ilah refers only to God. If somebody worships a stone and takes it as his Ilah, it doesn't mean that the stone really becomes his Ilah and can be called as such. The Quran plainly says that only Allah is Ilah, and that we have no Ilah other than Him. And since both of us stick to our respective stance over whether Ilah can be used only for Allah or that it can be used for others, we do have a disagreement over there. To clarify my standpoint, here is how the Quran answers the claim of multiple ilahs:

6:19 Say, what thing is the strongest in bearing testimony? Say, Allah; He is witness between me and you. And this Koran was revealed unto me, that I should admonish you thereby, and also those unto whom it shall reach. Do ye really profess that there are other aalihatan together with God? Say, I do not profess this. Say, verily He is one Ilah; and I am guiltless of what ye associate with Him.

Finally, we disagree over 6:3. I don't believe that 'Allah' with no meaning does justice to the verse. God says that He sends His messengers for guidance, and also gives particular instances like "We sent Noah," or "We sent Shuaib". Similarly, where we know Muhammad is God's messenger, "follow Muhammad" becomes reasonable (because we know he is God's messenger), But Noah, Shuaib, and Muhammad are messengers and instances of messengers, while Allah is God and does not have an instance.

Something is conveyed by "I am Allah's messenger," but saying "I am Allah's Abraham" doesn't carry the same connotation. Likewise, "He is the God in the heavens and the earth" conveys something, but "He is Allah in the heavens and the earth" doesn't.
Post Posted:
Mon 22 Feb, 2010 2:55 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
There are curious cases of alif being dropped, so I do not rule out 'Allah' as 'Al' + ''Ilah', neither do I insist that such is the case.

Forget the Alif in Isam as it can be written Bi Ism, it cannot be grammatically incorrect

On the other hand, I am going to follow your stand, not to insist on what I alleged, while possibly in the future I will accept that Allah = Al + Ilah, but only after one knowledgeable human who can explain to me or to anyone why the Alif in Ilah is dropped after adding the Al to Ilah, there is no such rule in Arabic grammar, let's take the Arabic word Ard which starts with an Alif as example, we can see it in this verse without Al:

11:64 ويا قوم هذه ناقة الله لكم اية فذروها تاكل في ارض الله ولا تمسوها بسوء فياخذكم عذاب قريب

And when we add Al to it, the alif in Ard stays, i.e. Al-Ard, as seen below along with the same word without Al:

4:97 ان الذين توفاهم الملائكة ظالمي انفسهم قالوا فيم كنتم قالوا كنا مستضعفين في الارض قالوا الم تكن ارض الله واسعة فتهاجروا فيها فاولئك ماواهم جهنم وساءت مصيرا

Therefore, there is no such silly rule in Arabic that any word that starts with Alif, the Alif must be dropped when adding Al to it

What makes it harder is the example you have shown Lillah, as if we consider that Allah = Al + Ilah, the Li dropped both the Alif and Lam, despite the fact that for any Arabic word that has the definite article Al, if we use Li before it, then Li must omit the Alif only in the Al article. This implies to me that the Al in Allah is not the definite Al

The wrote:

On the other hand, Ilah refers only to God.

grammatically, Ilah should refer to any god

spiritually, Ilah should refer to the One and Only God

The wrote:
If somebody worships a stone and takes it as his Ilah, it doesn't mean that the stone really becomes his Ilah and can be called as such.

Of course it means that the stone is his god, however it does not mean that the stone is really his god, let's look at the following verse:

6:74 واذ قال ابراهيم لابيه ازر اتتخذ اصناما الهة اني اراك وقومك في ضلال مبين

Here is Ibrahim accusing his father of taking some stones as Aliha (gods), which is the plural of Ilah, the fact that there is only One and True Ilah who is Allah does not invalidate the grammatical use of the word Ilah, in fact in another verse Allah used the word Ilah to explicitly refer to other gods if any exists:

6:46 قل ارايتم ان اخذ الله سمعكم وابصاركم وختم علي قلوبكم من اله غير الله ياتيكم به انظر كيف نصرف الايات ثم هم يصدفون

See how it is said above: من اله غير الله, Mn Ilah Ghair Allah, i.e. which god other than Allah

Therefore the spiritual fact that there is only One and True God, cannot take the gramatical use of the word Ilah away from being a generic word to refer to any god

The wrote:
The Quran plainly says that only Allah is Ilah,

That is right, and that is something only BELIEVERS believe in, it is not proven nor it can be proven during the test of this life

The wrote:
and that we have no Ilah other than Him.

Exactly, but some unbelievers believe that there are gods (Aliha) other than Him

The wrote:
And since both of us stick to our respective stance over whether Ilah can be used only for Allah or that it can be used for others, we do have a disagreement over there.

It is not a vital disagreement though, the one we had before concerning Alameen is bigger than this one, in fact this one in comparison is almost nothing

I think the best course of action for me and you is to leave it open and not take one over the other, we can simply say (if asked) we do not know. let's leave the others indulge in their conjectures about Allah

The wrote:
To clarify my standpoint, here is how the Quran answers the claim of multiple ilahs:

And I have no objection of that at all, but that is something spiritual to believe in, the use of the word Ilah referring to the One and Only God does not in anyway invalidate its use when used to refer to other imaginary gods.

The wrote:
6:19 Say, what thing is the strongest in bearing testimony? Say, Allah; He is witness between me and you. And this Koran was revealed unto me, that I should admonish you thereby, and also those unto whom it shall reach. Do ye really profess that there are other aalihatan together with God? Say, I do not profess this. Say, verily He is one Ilah; and I am guiltless of what ye associate with Him.

The wrote:
Finally, we disagree over 6:3. I don't believe that 'Allah' with no meaning does justice to the verse.

6:3 is only using His name to refer to Him, in fact the expression هو الله, Hua Allah, i.e. He is Allah is used 9 times in the Quran:

6:3, 18:38, 28:70, 34:27, 39:4, 59:22, 59:23, 59:24 and 112:1

in all these verses, Allah is describing to us something about Him, i.e. He is Allah Who does this and that, in 6:3 it is Allah Who يعلم سركم وجهركم ويعلم ما تكسبون , i.e. He is Allah in the heaven and earth Who knows your secrets and what your reveal and what you earn. Such piece of information of knowing our secrets and what we reveal and what we earn is enough to identify such Knowledgeable Entity to be our One and Only God, we do not need a word to define Him as such, we need actions to define Him as such. In fact anyone can clam to be a god. like Firon for example, but did he know the secrets of his people? of course not.

Now, if you insist that the words in 6:3 that came after Hua Allah Fi Al-Samawat Wa Al-Ard must make Hua Allah so it means He is the God of the heaven and earth, then your insistence is not on solid groud because Allah used the generic word Ilah to mean as such:

43:84 وهو الذي في السماء اله وفي الارض اله وهو الحكيم العليم

And He is the One Who is in the heaven Ilah (God), and in the earth Ilah (God). How clear. You can see that the verse here never told us any Godly action done by Him

Now that Ilah is named Allah and when Allah talked about Himself (Hua Allah) , He always followed it by a great action of His, i.e. Allah want us to know about Him, not to know that His name Allah means the God. This is indeed silly. That is why I hesitate to accept that Allah means The God.

The wrote:
God says that He sends His messengers for guidance, and also gives particular instances like "We sent Noah," or "We sent Shuaib". Similarly, where we know Muhammad is God's messenger, "follow Muhammad" becomes reasonable (because we know he is God's messenger), But Noah, Shuaib, and Muhammad are messengers and instances of messengers, while Allah is God and does not have an instance.

What you say is fine with me, but that does not in anyway explain the meaning of the word Allah, for me the word means the most unique name of Allah (so far)

The wrote:
Something is conveyed by "I am Allah's messenger," but saying "I am Allah's Abraham" doesn't carry the same connotation. Likewise, "He is the God in the heavens and the earth" conveys something, but "He is Allah in the heavens and the earth" doesn't.

He is God in the heaven and earth was used in 43:84 so what is new in 6:3? instead of He is God in the heaven and the earth, it is He is the God in the heaven and the earth (you reckon)?

It holds no water dear brother

Salam

Last edited by AhmedBahgat on Mon 22 Feb, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 7 times in total
Post Posted:
Mon 22 Feb, 2010 5:47 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

@ Forget the Alif in Isam as it can be written Bi Ism, it cannot be grammatically incorrect

Why forget it? Can you explain why alif is dropped in 'bism' Allah but retained elsehwere?

Looks like we might have a go at each other again, brother. : grin :
Post Posted:
Mon 22 Feb, 2010 6:12 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
@ Forget the Alif if Isam as it can be written Bi Ism, it cannot be grammatically incorrect

Why forget it? Can you explain why alif is dropped in 'bism' Allah but retained elsehwere?

I really dont know why they removed the alif, however I read in the past (many years ago) that it can be written with Alif, I will try to find it for you, this is like Ya Allah, and Yallah

However with Li, it is a known grammatical rule that any word with Al, if we add Li to it, then the alif in Al must be removed otherwise it will look La on its own and cause massive confusion in understanding the definite noun that follows, you can see this rule clearly in the Quran where all words with Li and Al, the alif is dropped

The wrote:
Looks like we might have a go at each other again, brother. : grin :

Look, it does not need to, my argument is not conclusive neither yours, but I feel without any bias to myself that my argument is a bit stronger than yours, in fact most English translators do not translate the name Allah

The good thing out of this that we turned aggressive against each other then we became mellow again, which means that no hard feelings

Salam

Mon 22 Feb, 2010 6:20 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

@ I really dont know why they removed the alif, however I read in the past (many years ago) that it can be written with Alif, I will try to find it for you, this is like Ya Allah, and Yallah

It will be better when there is a definite explanation as to why the alif is missing in 'bism' Allah.

@ However with Li, it is a known grammatical rule that any word with Al, if we add Li to it, then the alif in Al must be removed otherwise it will look La on its own and cause massive confusion in understanding the definite noun that follows, you can see this rule clearly in the Quran where all words with Li and Al, the alif is dropped

We can deduce the dropped alif from the Quran itself.

@Look, it does not need to, my argument is not conclusive neither yours, but I feel without any bias to myself that my argument is a bit stronger than yours, in fact most English translators do not translate the name Allah

There are many translators who do translate it as 'God'. However, I am not aware of many who think that Allah is a meaningless label, brother. So, I do sense a bias, possibly due to a lack of awareness.

@ The good thing out of this that we turned aggressive against each other then we became mellow again, which means that no hard feelings

That's right, brother, there's no point in getting carried away.

@ grammatically, Ilah should refer to any god

That is where we disagree. The Quran says very clearly that Allah Alone is Ilah, so I don't see how it can be any other way.
Post Posted:
Mon 22 Feb, 2010 6:45 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
@ Forget the Alif in Isam as it can be written Bi Ism, it cannot be grammatically incorrect

grin :

See this link bro:

http://forum.sh3bwah.maktoob.com/t63444.html

in there you can see that they wrote it باسم الله, with the alif, so it is grammatically correct

Mon 22 Feb, 2010 6:46 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:

@ grammatically, Ilah should refer to any god

That is where we disagree. The Quran says very clearly that Allah Alone is Ilah, so I don't see how it can be any other way.

I just like to reply to that for now,

Fine, but the Quran also used the word to refer to other man made gods

So for me and you, there is only One Ilah, but for others, there are other Ilahs than Allah

That is why the Quran is full with the sentence that there is no Ilah except Allah

i.e. the Quran informed us with the name of the only Ilah

Mon 22 Feb, 2010 6:49 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

I think this will help us resolve some misunderstanding, brother. What do you mean by 'god' when you say "grammatically, Ilah should refer to any god".

I ask this because I think now I understand where we are not looking eye to eye.
Post Posted:
Mon 22 Feb, 2010 6:53 pm